Many women have various personal reasons as to why they are thinking of undergoing breast augmentation. This decision is personal however, it is important to understand the procedure, the side effects, the benefits and aftercare. Here at AOE, we pride ourselves on not only offering excellent procedures but we also care and want to support you throughout your journey with cosmetic surgery. Breast augmentation is one of the surgical cosmetic procedures with the highest satisfaction rate – (98%). Whatever your reason is to get breast augmentation, with careful planning and plenty of research, it could be one of the best life decisions you will make!
What is breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation is a cosmetic surgical procedure that improves the fullness and shape of breasts. There are various ways to perform breast augmentations, the method must be tailored to each individual patients needs. The basic procedure involves creating a pocket under the breast tissue and placing a breast implant into that pocket.
Choosing the right implant
When choosing the perfect implant for you, be sure to discuss this thoroughly with your surgeon to ensure that you are making the best choice to suit you. Implants are made out of a silicone outer shell that is internally filled will materials such as, regular silicone gel, highly cohesive silicone gel and saline implants. Your surgeon will help you to choose size and shape to ensure that you achieve your desired results.
Why at AOE?
At AOE, we use Johnson and Johnson’s Mentor implant with a lifetime warranty. We will help you find the right implant that best suits your needs and fits your unique body type to give you beautiful breasts that will boost your self confidence and self-image.
The procedure time is under an hour and can be carried out as a daycase procedure in hospital. General anaesthesia will be used during surgery and pain relief will be available to reduce any pain and discomfort you may be feeling whilst in the recovery stage. Pain or discomfort could last up to 7 days. Results will be noticeable soon after treatment, however it could take up to 12 weeks till you see the final results and scars will continue to fade and improve for up to 18 months post-surgery. There may be times when we recommend products such as scar treatments (or prescription) that can assist with the healing of scars to speed up the recovery process.
Am I an ideal candidate for breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation is suitable for those who are looking to achieve the follow benefits:
- A better proportioned or more appealing figure
- To improve shape and firmness of the breasts
- Restoring symmetry
- Must be in good health
The different types of breast augmentation:
Implants – an implant is placed in a pocket underneath the pectoral muscle or underneath the breast tissue on top of the pectoral muscle. There are various types of implants available depending on the results you are hoping to achieve and your body shape.
There are three different types of implants:
- Saline-filled breast implants
- Silicone-filled breast implants
- Cohesive gel silicone implants
Autuologous Fat Transfer – this is where the surgeon removes fat through liposuction from an area of your body and the fat cells are injected into the breasts. This procedure is not as common as implants and not as developed.
The side effects and results:
Certain side effects that are possible include:
- Temporary pain, swelling and bruising
- Tightness in the chest for a few weeks
Pain relief can be provided to help ease any discomfort during the recovery stage. Pain or discomfort can last up to 7 days and your results will be noticeable soon after treatment however, it may take up to 12 weeks until you see full results. Any scarring will fade and improve for up to 18 months post-surgery.
It is recommended that you take at least 1-2 weeks off of work, depending on the physical requirement at your job. During the first few weeks of recovery it is common to have pain, discomfort, swelling and bruising. It is very important to rest and not engage in any strenuous activity for at least 4 weeks.
- Sleeping – you should sleep propped up by pillows and on your back – this will help to reduce the swelling of the breasts.
- Pain relief – paracetamol is recommended if you require pain relief.
- Surgical bra – it is highly recommended that you purchase a surgical support bra. This should be worn day and night for up to 4 weeks.
- Showering – keep your wounds dry for up to 72 hours – a bath may be a better alternative to showering.
- Activity – ensure that your rest after your procedure and do not engage in any strenuous activity for at least 4 weeks. Avoid activities that puts stress on the wounds, eg, raising your arms above your head and lifting heavy objects. Light exercise such as, swimming, can usually be resumed 4-6 weeks after surgery (this is depending on the individual and their personal recovery process).
Whatever your reason to undergo breast augmentation may be, there are many benefits to this procedure:
- Added volume and curves
- Even out asymmetrical breasts
- Restore breasts after ageing or pregnancy
- Rebuild breasts after a mastectomy
- Increase self – confidence
For more information on breast augmentation at Aesthetics Of Essex, click here!