Skin Tags – What are they?
Almost everyone will develop a skin tag or multiple skin tags at some point in their lives. Skin tags are small, non-cancerous growths that can appear anywhere on the body and they are usually the same colour as the skin. It is not known what causes a skin tag but it is believed that friction or chaffing from skin rubbing together is the most likely cause which is why they appear on women around the neck and are jewellery related.
These, non- contagious, soft lumps of skin protrude from the skin, as if on a stalk and can develop on the neck, eyelids, armpits or under the breasts. Most skin tags are quite small but some can grow to several centimetres in size and it is known that some people are more genetically susceptible to developing them. Middle-aged, obese adults are the most prone to skin tags but anyone can develop a skin tag, at any age, and they tend to be more common as people become older.
What is the best way to remove a skin tag?
Most doctors recommend the removal of a skin tag only when they are irritated or a source of discomfort or if they constitute a cosmetic problem. The Removal of a skin tag is a straightforward process and can be achieved in a number of different ways, such as:
– Snipping them off: The snipping off of the skin tag if they have a long narrow stalk using a pair of Scissors or Nail Clippers.
– Shaving them off: The skin tag can be shaved off if it is flatter by nature.
– Tying off Skin Tags: This is a common home remedy to remove skin tags. Tie a thread or a dental floss a bit tightly around the skin tag. Now, cut the skin tag by using a scissors or a nail cutter. After removing the skin tag, apply an antibacterial cream over the place.
– Tea Tree Oil: Tea Tree Oil is one of the best natural methods for skin tag removal at home. Soak a cotton ball in water and then, put at least 2-3 drops of tea tree oil on it. Now, lightly rub it over the skin tag in circular motions. Repeat this daily at least twice a day for about a week until the skin tag completely vanishes.
– Apple Cider Vinegar: This is one of the best home remedies for skin tags on the neck. Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and apply it over the skin tag. Use this remedy for about a month for complete removal of skin tag.
– Onion Juice: Cut an onion, and leave it overnight in a vessel containing some salt. Extract the juice from it, the next morning. Apply this juice every night on the skin tag for at least 10-12 days. It will completely remove the tag.
– Castor Oil & Baking Soda: This is an easy skin tag removal method. Mix baking soda and castor oil and form a thick paste. Apply this paste on the skin tag and cover it. Leave it for a night. Wash it with warm water, the next morning. Repeat this process for about 10 days until the tag totally vanishes.
– Pineapple Juice: This is one of the simplest ways to remove skin tags on skin. Apply pineapple juice every day at least 2-3 times, but don’t rinse it off. Repeat it for at least 10 days, until the skin tag is completely scraped off.
– Garlic: Apply garlic juice over the skin tag at least 2 times a day. But, make sure you change the garlic every time you put it on the skin tag.
– Nail Polish: Cover the skin tag with Nail Polish, and let it dry. Repeat it for 2-3 times a day for a few days until the tag completely fades off from the skin.
– Aloe Vera: Apply aloe vera juice and gently massage it on your skin tag. Repeat it daily. This is a good home remedy as it will help in eliminating the skin tag in a few days.
– Lemon Juice: Soak a cotton ball in lemon juice and apply it over the skin tag. Repeat this remedy for a few days until the outgrowths completely vanishes.
– Banana Peel: Cut a small piece of banana peel and place the inside part of it over the skin tag. Cover it firmly with gauze, and leave it overnight. Repeat this remedy daily until the skin tags fall off.
– Duct Tape: Stick Duct Tape to the skin tag for a continuous period of 10-12 days until the skin tag is completely removed.
As you can see some of the procedures for removing Skin Tags are unconventional and the results may be very disappointing.
We at Aesthetics Essex use a more tried and tested procedure where a successful outcome is virtually guaranteed. The treatment at Aesthetics Essex involves using the Cryotherapy procedure (freezing the skin tags) and is carried out by our trained therapists. The Freezing method is relatively painless and is carried out using a CryroPen.
Before the Cryotherapy treatment is conducted, an analysis of the treatment area will be conducted, taking into account the age, location, and size of the lesion and skin type. The duration of the treatment time will depend on the number of skin tags and the thickness of the tissue being treated. The treatment will consist of two stages: the first freezing cycle and the second freezing cycle – this offers the best opportunity for success.
Imperfections will be removed by controlled circular movements that stay within the limits of the treatment area. The CryoPen has a penetration rate of freezing of approximately 1 mm per 5 seconds with a maximum freezing depth of 3 to 6 mm – the amount of time needed will relate to the depth of the lesion. The area will then be left to thaw (for 30 seconds) and dried with a tissue then followed by a second freeze. Some pain will be experienced during the treatment which will feel like a ballpoint is being pushed into the skin. If you are uncomfortable with the amount of pain experienced, the treatment will stop.
A follow-up visit is recommended after 2 to 4 weeks to confirm that all pathological tissue has disappeared or that a follow-up treatment is necessary. Minor residual stinging may occur for a few minutes after treatment. Occasionally, a blister may also form and will last for a few hours.